[Preston] "Blackpool forum" !!

dazzle68 preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 2 22:39:03 2003

Yeah Chris, Debs is good - they are all GR8 distros in their own individual
way - thats why Linux can and will kiss Windowz into touch , soon me - like
the rest of us.

I have Telewest 1MB Cable here Chris, so I can get filez super-quick!! I like
Gentoo/Portage cos it allows me to run a thin Linux distro, just install what
I need, and compile optmised for P4 , although since doing that I was pissed
off to find that on the day after my compiles finished, the P3 and P4 stage
tarballs were released - ah well, I'm just 2 impatient!!

Yep, I started with Mandrake 7 first, seems ages ago now, and your dead right
about the "getting to know things" - I mean you don't HAVE to know, the GUI
tools make things easy and quick, but for some reason, if you say "...erm
yeah I run Linux" then theres a presumption that you know your stuff - so, I
did the same and installed Gentoo so I could get to know what I'm talking
about - or try at least ;-)

I did my HND at Preston Poly - changed its name now hasn't it , "UCL" or
something is it not - wouldn't like to say how long it was when I was there
though!!

If you ever get stuck then check out the Gentoo-Forums, dead easy once you've
been on there for a couple of hours , got some really nifty gurus on there -
I still use it now+then but around 12 months ago I used to use it loads and
got responses within an hour or so!! Good ones 2!

If all else fails, you can mail me here or at work , the latter being
darren.edwards3@baesystems.com   - don't ask abou da 3 :-(

So, have fun!

Daz