[Preston] kernel build

Andrew King preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 3 20:34:03 2003

Hello there Chris,

> 1139:        if ((!OK_STAT(stat, READY_STAT, BAD_STAT)
> 1140:        return ide_error(drive, "drive_cmd", stat); /* calls ide_end_drive_cmd */
> 1141:        ide_end_drive_cmd (drive, stat, GET_ERR());
> 1142:        return ide_stopped;
> 1143:
> 1144:}

That's dodgy - by my count there are two closing brackets missing on the
if statement.  However; I doubt that the kernel team would make a major
release with such a huge error in it - or at least, if they did, someone
would notice very quickly and they'd probably release 2.4.21 (as well as
a "So and so screwed up... is this the end for Linux?" article on
slashdot.org). I find that these are nearly always things that have
screwed up locally.

I know it's a pain, but just try moving those unpacked kernel sources
out of the way (read "delete" if you wish), and then unpacking them from
the tarball again.  I often get random meaningless errors and just
wiping the lot and starting again more often than not makes them go
away.  If that doesn't work, it might then be worth getting yourself a
new copy of the kernel sources.  If you got them through Debian's
apt-get system, it might be worth getting instead a tarball from one of
the mirrors of kernel.org.

Good luck,

Andrew