[Preston] kernel build

chris preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 4 02:46:01 2003

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 20:41, Andrew King wrote:
> Hello there Chris,
>
> > 1139:        if ((!OK_STAT(stat, READY_STAT, BAD_STAT)
> > 1140:        return ide_error(drive, "drive_cmd", stat); /* calls ide_end_drive_cmd */
> > 1141:        ide_end_drive_cmd (drive, stat, GET_ERR());
> > 1142:        return ide_stopped;
> > 1143:
> > 1144:}
>

> That's dodgy - by my count there are two closing brackets missing on the
> if statement.  However; I doubt that the kernel team would make a major
> release with such a huge error in it - or at least, if they did, someone
> would notice very quickly and they'd probably release 2.4.21 (as well as
> a "So and so screwed up... is this the end for Linux?" article on
> slashdot.org). I find that these are nearly always things that have
> screwed up locally.
>
> I know it's a pain, but just try moving those unpacked kernel sources
> out of the way (read "delete" if you wish), and then unpacking them from
> the tarball again.  I often get random meaningless errors and just
> wiping the lot and starting again more often than not makes them go
> away.  If that doesn't work, it might then be worth getting yourself a
> new copy of the kernel sources.  If you got them through Debian's
> apt-get system, it might be worth getting instead a tarball from one of
> the mirrors of kernel.org.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Andrew

Hrmm, i tried deleting before. I think ill just download a different
version heh, and hopefully it wont be screwey. I originally got the
sources from kernel.org aswell, so i have no idea why theres such a
silly error in there. :\ oh well, here goes, time to download the
sources again and hope for the best :o)