[Preston] messing with wine

Jonathan Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 00:36:00 2003

Wine doesn't support WindowsXP, just like it never supported the
2000/NT codebase either.

To run Wine using a real Windows installation (as most dual-booters
probably want to), you need to have the files 'io.sys',
'msdos.---','msdos.sys', an old-style binary system registry and
probably a few other things in your Windows partition. This means Win95
to WinMe will work fine, but the newer Windows releases will not.

As has been said, Winesetup is pretty nice for setting up your command
line options, but if you want to do things yourself, you can usually
(depending on your installation) find a really well commented .winerc
in /usr/share/doc/wine-X.X/, which should be a good starting point.

--Jon

 --- entwisi <entwisi@dsl.pipex.com> wrote: > Hi there