[Preston] Hello

Matthew T. Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 20:28:01 2003

hi :)  (I'm a bit slow on that, though, lol)

Welcome to the list; hope you find it helpful/interesting.  I have only been
using Linux for 4-5 months and have tried SuSE 8.0, Lycoris and MDK 9 (which
seems buggy, but is the only reasonably easy-to-use, non-RedHat distro that
has GNOME2 at the moment).  I might try SuSE 8.1 but don't really want to
pay £35 for an upgrade because I don't know how good their GNOME2 really is
(apparently its crippled like RH's KDE).  Oh and I am a student too so £35
is quite expensive!

I once thought about and even tried using Debian ('Woody' 3.0r0) but I
didn't get past the entry exam that is the installer :).  Also, I need
bleeding-edge libraries for GNOME2 as I can't really use the machine very
effectively without Gnopernicus (a screen reader/magnifier for GTK+2).
Hopefully when Slackware 9 (with hardware detection) comes out I'll be able
to use that (the guy in charge of their GNOME2 distribution told me he'd
include Gnopernicus :D).

Anyway, that's enough rambling from me for now :)

bye just now,

matthew