[Preston] Hello

Matthew T. Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 21:19:01 2003

'ellow,

If you don't mind me asking, which school do you work at?  I lived in
Penwortham/Preston all my life up until Oct 2001 (now at Lufbra uni).  I
went to Priory High (now a 'technical college' I believe).  I was a
temporary network admin there for a couple of months when they were waiting
for a new full-time one.  (I hadn't even heard of Linux or Open-Source in
those [~1997] days.)

I am keen to delete Windows but there've been a few stumbling blocks:

* My Intel HaM winmodem worked find on SuSE 8.0 but not on MDK9 and without
internet access at home (its 10Mbps LAN at uni :D) I can't use Linux solely
(need e-mail, OSNews.com, PlanetUnreal.com etc).
* Office Software seems not too great at the moment.  OOo is nice but looks
terrible and doesn't read my M$ Office documents too well (or 'convert'
them, at all).

If you have any pointers, I'd be really pleased to hear from you.  Also,
which distro of Linux do you use?  Do you prefer GNOME or KDE?

I am also waiting to switch until Gnopernics is out (screen reader/magnifier
for GTK+2) but as soon as I have these things sorted out I'll be 100% on
Linux :).  There is nothing more annoying than buggy access software on a
buggy OS that you know you could fix (or try to :D) if you had the source
code....  I should thank M$ as they've given me a great motivation to
discover something much better and hopefully migrate to it :D.

LUG meetings are always good but I am currently only able to make those here
at Lufbra.  Maybe at Easter there will be a PLUG meeting - I'd love to come
along.

bye just now,

matthew