[Preston] Hello

Andrew King preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 4 00:23:01 2003

Hi all,

I'm a bit new too (was here ages ago). I'm 20, live in Preston, and work
in a local high school running their computer network for them (now 135
workstations, 36 laptops, 33 printers, 10 switches, 4 servers and a
power supply), which is great fun and but keeps me busy. The plan for
this year is to find another job somewhere and escape to somewhere miles
away, so I'll let you all know when the job becomes available, since if
I don't recommend someone they'll take on a complete idiot who'll insist
on "upgrading" everything that's not on win2k right away to 2k or
something worse.  The pay isn't exactly great (~£12k) but it's probably
a way to better things.  I have started the assimilation process for you
and leave as much clear documentation as time allows me to write.

Been using Linux for 4 and a half years now, as well as FreeBSD/OpenBSD
a bit.  I got rid of Windows off everything I own years ago (2000 I
think), and don't look back at all - much better off without it.  Why
you lot all insist on having these dual boot setups I'll never know, but
I'm sure you've all got your reasons... (remember to send flames
directly to me and not to the list...).  I'll admit though to running
Windows on a work laptop with a legit copy of VC++, since there's
potential income there, and it's useful for work.

As far as computers go, I'm just interested in making them as useful and
fun as possible. Have probably concentrated on C, Perl, networking and
programming graphics/guis under Unix, although I'm still at a fairly
early stage with all of it.

I'm eager to help people make the switch, so please feel free to give me
a shout if you live in/around Preston and want some help.

To anyone who's not been to one of the PLUG meetings (which were always
in pubs this time last year), they're great - come along. Anyone any
idea what's happening next?

Databug said that Caroline said:

>>Hi All..
>>
>>I'm new, too. I'm a student at the uni here and have been dabbling with
>>Linux for the past year or so. I'm at the stage where I can possibly name
>>1/2 a dozen distros. Hmm.
>>I'm in the middle of a re-build and planning to make my desktop machine
>>tri-boot (?) with win 98, 2000 and Suse 8.1. It's an experience.
>
> Try boot eh that sounds like fun. But why with win2000? winXP is much better.

Each to their own I guess :) I prefer to stick with NT wherever possible
- bit more efficient and stuff.

Caroline - I have known people with similar tri-boot setups - with any
luck it shouldn't be too difficult.

Andrew