[Preston] Hello

Caroline preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 22:32:00 2003

Hi,
Thanks for the help. You're right about being able to install 2000 and 98
in the same partition.
We then decided it wasn't such a hot idea, and formated again, then
installed in separate partitions. Since then, we thought we'd try XP (free
copy as I'm a computing student!). This set up seems to be ok atm, so we'll
see what happens when we stick Suse 8.1 on.

I'm putting Windows on because we're doing win programming at uni. (Sadly
Linux doesn't get much of a look in on my course). As I understand it, Win
98 is pretty useful if you want to be able to access com ports
directly  (future project, maybe?).

My main reason for putting on 2000 was because I fancied a change from 98
and it's only a 450MHz machine.
My Dad has just installed XP on his 500, though, and his seems ok at the
moment.

Everything seems to be going ok generally. The only problem so far has been
a near fire caused by a loose internal speaker wire.  :-/

Thanks for the advice everyone.  :-)

Caroline.