[Preston] Hello

Matthew T. Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 7 14:48:25 2003

'ellow,

There seemed to be a number of 'shareware' licences for XP going around here
last year too :).  I am glad that its all working now (and that your
house/hall was not burned down in the process!) and I hope it continues to
when SuSE is installed.  It shouldn't give you any problems; its got *very
good* set-up tools.  I would only advise that you use a program like
PartitionMagic on windows to create the Linux and Swap partitions before you
install SuSE.  That's what I did and it has worked perfectly.  I think that
expecting Linux installers to act as fully-fledged partitioning programs can
be a bit dodgy at the moment (they're getting better all the time, of
course, but I don't think they can resize NTFS partitions yet).

I have also heard that win9x is a lot easier to learn programming on too, as
you can quite quickly expose its gubbins.  What language are you using?  We
did some C (not low-level stuff, though) last year on windows that was not
too hard to port to Linux (as long as you make it as ANSI-compliant as
possible on windows).  I must admit that I was a bit disappointed that
UNIX/Linux didn't come up in our course sooner.  The 1st years now are being
taught C on Linux.  Recently we finished a project to make a web site.  We
had to learn Perl to do this and we also needed knowledge of UNIX/Linux web
servers.  It was such a laugh watching the windows users forget to upload
files and wonder why they weren't working for hours when I was just logged
in directly with ssh :).

Anyway, enjoy SuSE.  If you install/use GNOME2 on it, please could you let
me know what its like?  I heard it was crippled like RH's KDE and I really
need GNOME2 so I am anxious about making the move to SuSE 8.1 or later
now...  Thanks (but don't worry if you don't want to install GNOME2)!

bye just now,

matthew