Re[2]: [Preston] messing with wine

Matthew T. Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jan 8 22:39:01 2003

'ellow,

> I have a Ti4200 I've not noticed any bugs. What sort of bugs are there?

I bet that runs UT2k3 like a dream :).  UT(1)/Q3/anything else would
absolutely *fly* on it too!  You must get DooM 3 when it comes out (or the
leaked alpha for win32; that's great) to do that card justice :).  I only
get 7fps in a fight on a good day with DooM 3.  I legally own all my s/ware
and fully intend to gett DooM when it comes out - I just hope John Carmack
makes good on his promise of it running on the GF3 (as he said it would in
his MacWorld demo).

Anyway, the drivers...

The well-recognised big bug they have is that they stop quite a lot of
people's computers going into standby/suspend/hibernate.  I am not entirely
sure what happens when you try, though, as my current distro (MDK9) has no
power management :(.

I don't know if this one affects others:  They seem to crash my X server
when I try and log out / shutdown.  All that happens is the logout sound
loops for a few seconds and then it kills the server and restarts it at my
login prompt (currently a Quake3-playing Tux, but used to be the Gates of
Moria [spelling???]).

I think the main problem people have with them - and I have no intention of
starting a flame war (please send any abuse directly to me) - is that they
are not open source.  This means that no bugs can be fixed by the community
and their development is entirely under the control of nVidia - who could
pull the plug on us at any moment if they so desired.

> [Other stuff :)]

I've not heard of the bat on windows but have head of mailers such as
Pegasus (which seems very good and secure, like its mailserver counterpart -
which apparently has not even had one vulnerability report on the security
tracking web sites!).  Anyway, I am also looking for a CoolEdit replacement
on Linux - if you find one please let me know :).

bye just now,

matthew