Re[2]: [Preston] messing with wine

Databug preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jan 8 21:48:01 2003

On Wednesday 08 Jan 2003 9:20 pm, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:

> I have an nVidia card so although I have to put up with non-GPL and
> somewhat buggy at times drivers, things generally work.  I hear that AT=
> drivers are good too (the community-made ones, I think).

I have a Ti4200 I've not noticed any bugs. What sort of bugs are there?

> For more games that run natively, look at: http://www.tuxgamer.com/
> For Linux games and WineX games go here: http://linuxgaming.net/
> To buy Linux games (not tried this site - use at own risk :D):
> http://www.tuxgames.com/

Thanks for the links. Tho as I have Windows anyway i may as well keep tha=
t for=20
Games and just use Linux for my serious uses wich I do more than gaming=20
anyway.

> With regard to office software (something that has been a problem for m=
> lately) you might find OpenOffice.org (OOo) good enough but if not then
> maybe Crossover Office (http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/) wi=
ll
> be more helpful to you.  It has yet another version of Wine at its hear=
t so
> I don't think it will like WineX on the same machine.

While I do like M$ Office but I'm quite happy with both open office and S=
tar=20
office. Both of wich I have. I only ever used Word anyway. Now a program =
that=20
I do miss is Cool Edit for Music and sample editing. I also miss Kazaa. b=
ut=20
then it's not really a case of missing them cos I still have them :).

> If you can make your Linux box talk to the net you can use many IM
> platforms (ICQ, AOL, MSN, Yahoo, etc) if you install Gaim or everybuddy=
=2E=20
> You can also try Ximian Evolution which is a bit like M$ Outlook (but *=
way*
> better, of course :D).  (I mention evolution because you are using wind=
ows
> for e-mail, like I do.=20

Now I've always hated the M$ mailers. I use The Bat on the Windows side w=
ich=20
is a very powerfull mailer and is also immune to many Windows viruses as =
it=20
doesn't use the outlook address book. I'm reasonably happy with KMail. I'=
ve=20
tried Sylpheed but I really hate the gnome interfaces. A strong feature t=
hat=20
the bat has is templates. I have many templates set up in the bat for=20
instance one is set up for a regular EMail order that i post once a week.=
 All=20
i have to do is delete the things I don't want. All my address details et=
c=20
are already there. Now if KMail had such a feature I'd be well happy.

 Thanks for those links I'll check them out.
--=20
=2Ethis Email has been brought to you by the Databug =A9.

Other EMail:-                   mpmargraf@hotmail.com
ICQ Nr:-  87314826     IRC Nicks:-  Databug, MadMango
Homepage:-                 http://www.arkofnoah.co.uk