[Preston] DNS Question

David Farrell preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 23 19:10:00 2003

DNS can get messy. Caching only nameservers can provide the wrong
information if the real information changes. Setting up the servers
ain't too complicated. The DNS is the biggest distributed database on
the planet. It takes a lot of study to get your head round it. The
reason you need to point to proxy servers is that the address range your
school has is not globally routable (a private address range a la
RFC1918). Unless you've dozens of hosts, just use a hosts file on each
machine. If you've time to try setting up a dns server, you've time to
administer a hosts file. Which is of course where DNS was born... The
distribution of host files... DNS is a great head bender. Love it.