[Preston] DNS Question

Andrew King preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 28 23:05:01 2003

Thanks to all who replied to the DNS question - it told me a few new
things and agreed with a few things I already thought.  It was the bit
on how it works on internal IP numbers that I was wondering.  I'm not
sure whether we'd have much call for one or not. We've got 135
workstations, and we've had to change our IP range in the past, and that
mean't going around messing with all the print servers, some of which
were a major pain - giving them all hostnames would save this in future.

But yea, main reason is to just figure out the basics of it so that
it'll be useful elsewhere if not here. They insist on me being in the
library every lunchtime for 45 minutes, but have now told me to feel
free to use a computer throughout, so I've got 45 minutes a day on a
slowish machine that can just happily run putty and a couple of browser
windows, so that's one thing to look into.

Thanks for the mentions of that O'reilly book. As well as the official
free ones at www.oreilly.com/openbook, there are also a few more at
www.linux.cu/mirrors/www.oreilly.com/catalog which may be of interest to
people (html, css, javascript, webmaster, perl, samba, sed+awk,
dns+bind, sendmail, sendmail reference, and a few others, iirc).

Andrew