[Preston] dvd playing under linux

Kevin Golding preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 26 13:36:02 2003

--- Jim Skelton <skelton@oak.u-net.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 25 January 2003 2:37 pm, you wrote:
>
> > website. Running with the Xv(??) video extensions
> for
> > X makes a huge difference to playback performance.
> >
> I had a quick squint around the web for details
> about these extensions,  but
> I coundnt anything on how they are installed or
> compiled in?
>
> Are they loaded as a module or do they form part of
> the video driver.

It really depends on your card manufacturer.
Unfortunately, most card manufacturers still seem to
insist on keeping their code proprietary, so you are
at the mercy of them for Linux support. For my Nvidia
card, I downloaded an RPM from their web site which
basically contained a complete new binary X, as well
as nice pdf set of instructions. I installed the X and
made changes to the XF86Config file as per
instructions, and it all basically just started
working.

ATI seem to have information about drivers available
on their website at
http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html

I have heard informal comments that ATI's support for
Linux is not as good as NVidia's, but things are
steadily improving.

> Any one know if there are any issues with a generic
> rage 128 card on video
> playback (mine's a generic OEM module not a
> "manufactured by" ATI model)

Sorry, can't help you here. All I can say is try it
and see.