[Preston] Samba daemons 'n' stuff

andy preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 15 20:24:05 2003

Hi,
I don't know if this helps but I've just been looking at your minutes on the
web site, in particular the Samba stuff, and would like to suggest a couple
of command line entries.

1. chkconfig is a good one, e.g.
chkconfig --list
chkconfig --list | grep whatever
chkconfig smb on (turns on Samba for init levels 2 to 5)

2. service e.g.
service smb start (this will also show you which services are started by
Samba i.e. smb and nmb)

3. A tip (this works in command line mode as well)! If you double click a
name to highlight it, it can be pasted by middle clicking the mouse (or
clicking both mouse buttons if you emulate a 3 button mouse). I find this
great when the names of files are long...

4. apropos is good if you can't remember the name of a command but can
remember what it does.
apropos samba | grep status

Hope this helps(?)

Brgs,
Andy.
PS In RH 9 it is very easy to use the RH tool to set up Samba shares. It
also picked up my Windows printer -- all from a GUI!
PPS Webmin / Usermin is pretty good and shows most options for services in a
browser window. I'm going to stop now because I'm getting carried away ;-)
---