Quake 1 (was [Preston] Are we ubergeeks?)

Matthew T. Atkinson preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 21:51:00 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-18 at 18:44, Richard Revis wrote:
> QF works fine - even with GLX, thanks. I should have checked portage first, as
> it's in there, d'oh.
>
> It quits every time I select mutliplayer however, I suspect that unlile
> GLQuake it never got the TCP/IP upgrade, and I don't think that QuakeWorld
> (also included with quakeforge) allows you to play co-op multiplayer :o\

Hmmm, I am still getting used to this "posting at the bottom" lark, but
the lulu members tell me it is good netiquette...

Is that portage as in Gentoo Linux?  I always thought now that I am
using Debian that Gentoo must be the logical extreme of it (complete
customisation as opposed to just very fine-grained customisation through
package selection).

I have just checked and my version of QF can join a server I start in a
console/gnome-terminal just fine.  I started nq-server and then ran
nq-sdl and connected to it.  That seems to work fine.  I dunno about
nq-glx becuase my nVidia drivers never worked with this card and I am
going to get a Radeon 9100 in the summer as X 4.3 has native support
(tenebrae won't work, though :-().

I have learned that watching nq-sdl in ASCII-Art and then cating (or in
the case of a faster comp dding at 2 bytes at a time) it back is a
laugh!

Anyway, must carry on w/ revision (hence the laggy posts :D).  bye just
now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <tylee@ukgateway.net>