Quake 1 (was [Preston] Are we ubergeeks?)

Richard Revis preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 4 22:34:01 2003

On Wednesday 04 Jun 2003 9:52 pm, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:

> Hmmm, I am still getting used to this "posting at the bottom" lark, but
> the lulu members tell me it is good netiquette...

It's logical too, unless you happen to be someone who likes getting the ans=
wer=20
before the question.

> Is that portage as in Gentoo Linux?

Indeed.

> I always thought now that I am
> using Debian that Gentoo must be the logical extreme of it (complete
> customisation as opposed to just very fine-grained customisation through
> package selection).

IME emerge is considerably better than apt, but I really shouldn't keep on=
=20
starting holy wars. When they get around to concurrent hosting of binaries =
as=20
well as source files (which should happen at the same time as 1.4-final) ev=
en=20
those people too lazy to wait for a compile or who don't want to/cant cross=
=20
compile packages on a fast machine won't have an excuse ;o)

Debian is however not a moving target for development, especially the stabl=
e=20
branch, which can be nice - but that's the place that FreeBSD seems to win=
=20
out pretty well.

> I have just checked and my version of QF can join a server I start in a
> console/gnome-terminal just fine.  I started nq-server and then ran
> nq-sdl and connected to it.

Any idea about which port the server uses, or indeed where a man page exist=
s?

When I try and connect I go to multiplayer>tcp/ip>address (127.0.0.1)> port=
=20
(100) and then it just does nothing...

=2D --=20
Richard Revis
Outgoing e-mail is signed with my PGP key
You may obtain a copy of my key at http://key.revis.org
No permission is granted for unsolicited contact about any promotion,
product or similar including, but not limited to, advertising in any form.