[Preston] Databases with OO.org

Andrew King andrew at andrewsworld.org
Mon Apr 19 14:45:07 BST 2004

Hi all,

I remember we were talking about getting OpenOffice.org to work with a
database backend a while ago, so that it can be used as an Access
replacement.

I've just got OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 (binary downloaded directly from the
site) working with MySQL under Debian via ODBC, and now I've got
something that looks pretty similar to Access, except probably a lot
nicer.  Am hoping to get the same setup working under Windows 2000 later
on today, and if that works then it's probably a good open source and
cross platform replacement for Access.

Got it all working via an excellent tutorial (actually aimed at Red Hat
7.3) which actually stops and goes over lots of things that might go
wrong, instead of just assuming that everything works by the book, as
most do.  Google's cache is here:

http://66.102.11.104/search?q=cache:qxgTF0qh9TwJ:www.unixodbc.org/doc/OOoMySQL.pdf+openoffice.org+mysql&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Andrew