[Preston] Linux failure

Michael Bach mbach at uclan.ac.uk
Thu Aug 19 18:30:19 BST 2004

Hi Jack,
the problem sounds a bit strange. Yes, it may happen in Linux that there
is a piece fo hardware in your system that's not supported without
tweaking Linux a bit. However, your list of nonworking items  and the
fact that you tried Mandrake and Fedora let me think that there is
something more about it.
Your problems are probably more generic, ie: Printer problem caused by
parallel port, digicam problem caused by usb, modem problem caused by
usb or serial port.
I am not certain about this point myself, maybe someone else on the list
knows more: There is a BIOS setteing regarding plug and play operating
systems and I think it passes the responsibility to organize devices (IO
addresses, irq, dma) to the OS.
If this setting is set to "disabled" (ie no pnp os), BIOS organizes the
devices and the os has to live with it. However, both win and linux are
pnp os. The reason why your system works in win might be that windows
simply overwrites bios settings, we don't know because ms inconveniently
ships closed binarys which could do anything.
Anyway, have a look in the bios settings and see if you find something
regarding plug and play.
Or, as a last attempt, try Knoppix, for you that would be yet another
ditro to try but Knoppix is known to have the best harware detection.

Mike

-------------------------------------
Michael Bach
Applied Digital Signal and Image Processing Research Centre
University of Central Lancashire
PR1 2HE Preston, UK
Office: +44 1772 893265
Mobile: (UK) +44 793 1158931
Mobile: (DE) +49 162 7430906
>>> jack at howarth61.freeserve.co.uk 08/17/04 5:02 PM >>>
Hello Linux Users.  I have installed Mandrake 10.0 from three CDs from
the front of Linux Format magazine,It will not recognise my sound card /
modem / network card/ nor epson stylus 600 colour printer,or my digital
camera.    I have now unistalled Mandrake and installed Fedora Code 2,
from two CDs from the Linux format magazine,result ---same problems as
Mandrake.As a possible new user of Linux how on earth am I supposed to
get all the affore mentioned components to work,It looks very
complicated to get the correct drivers.also if I get the drivers in zip
form,how do I install them.  with Windows xp it's very easy for not very
expert users of the computer.       I think if Linux is to succeed with
inexperienced Home users it will have to be easier to install and update
drivers etc for all the attached equipment.      I may give up before I
have started with Linux!     Help!   Jack   senior citizen,  Freckleton.