[Preston] synching a linux dir to a windows98 dir

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Thu Aug 26 11:39:32 BST 2004

Has anyone had much success synchronizing a linux directory to a windows98
directory? I've experimented with mirrordir and rsync without too much
success. My main problem with rsync is that it re-copied files that it's
already done. I've tried various flags to rsync without any progress. Here's
my current command:

	rsync --delete -ruptv /store/photos/ /backing_up/roberta/c/photos

where /backing_up/roberta/c is mounted using

	smbmount //roberta/c /backing_up/roberta/c -o guest

I have another problem which is the occassional 'too many files open on
system' error. I've seen this with mirrordir too and from a bit of a google
it looks like a samba issue. I don't think that's the problem with rsync
though. All I want to do is mirror a linux directory onto a windows98 share
and I used to do it fine with rsync but for some reason it's not working
anymore and I don't know when it happened.

Any thoughts why rsync should be re-copying files, or any other tools that
might do the trick.  I've been trying a few experiments with cp -uvr and it
seems to honour not-overwriting an existing file, so I might script it with a
find command to remove the files on the windows share that have gone away
from the source linux dir - seems a bit of a kludge though.