[Preston] synching a linux dir to a windows98 dir

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Thu Aug 26 15:40:27 BST 2004

'ello,

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 11:39, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> Any thoughts why rsync should be re-copying files, or any other tools that
> might do the trick.

I did do this once, quite a while back, and at a guess I'd say maybe it
is something to do with permissions/time stamps (i.e. the FATxx FS
doesn't store them as ext[23] does so maybe that is why rsync thinks it
has to re-copy files.

Is it definitely copying the entire file over again, or is it just
mentioning that it is processing a file?  The reason I ask is that some
combinations of the various --verbose and --progress -type switches do
make it print out the names of all the files (which makes it look like
it is copying them) but actually it has noticed there is no difference
and is just saying ``I've acknowledged the existence of this file''.

Try it with the --progress and --stats switches; this will give the ETA
for copying large files (but won't print out an ETA if it's not copying
the file).  It also prints out a report at the end that might shed some
light on what the program is ``thinking''.

Also, I noticed you're using -t (--times).  This can really bugger
things up if the clocks are set inconsistently on both boxen (I've had
that one before and believe me, it is the /last/ thing you think of
after tearing all of your hair out and screaming a few times :-)).

As a general tip I'd say use --dry-run _a lot_ before you do any real
work that involves the use of the --delete* switches.  I learnt that one
from [painful] experience, too...  Oh, it might be an idea to do a
wrapper script that makes sure the smb share is mounted before you
start, otherwise you'll be backing up loopback-style :-).

I seem to remember this topic cropping up before and I'm pretty sure it
was you that brought it up (apologies if I've got that wrong) -- I hope
that this time we can sort it out for you.  rsync is very nice but it
can be difficult to get it set up just right sometimes because of the
huge differences between the ways in which it can be used.

Well, I was only going to say check the time stamps but this turned into
an essay!  I hope this info helps, or at least points you in a helpful
direction.

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>