[Preston] email problems

Gareth Llewellyn Gareth at ournetworkismadeofstring.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 12:15:54 GMT 2004

No, notice on the line @       IN  MX  5 mail.nlvh.co.uk and on the second
one IN  MX  10 mail1.nlvh.co.uk.

The Number 5 and then 10 means the weighting they are assigned. So when
someone tries to send you an email. The MX record that returns for your
domain is primarily mail.nlvh.co.uk but if that one doesn't respond it will
try the next weighted choice which is mail1.nlvh.co.uk. I just realized that
was an answer to a question you didn't ask. Damnit, I'll leave it there for
other people tho.

You can set your mail.nvlh.co.uk server to replicate (Or just act as a
client) from mail1.nvlh.co.uk in the same way you can get secondary DNS
servers to replicate from a master record.

  _____