[Preston] DVD playing

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 22:33:40 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 22:16, Richard Revis wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 Feb 2004 8:41 pm, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> > I gave 2.6 another whirl this afternoon. I was thrown for a while as it
> > needs all that QT stuff to get the GUI, but after that I was quite
> > impressed with the new look config.
>
> Pah, real men use menuconfig.

Or even just make config? I'm a born-again quiche-eater I'm afraid.

> It was pretty painless with a Nvidia GF 4 4800 - just upgrade kernel,
> reinstall nvidia driver package. Gentoo autodetects which kernels you are
> using and compiles the right links :o)
>
> Mind you, as far as I can see 2.4.24 and the low latency patches are about
> as good as 2.6.1 anyway - both machines here are still fully responsive at
> 100% load. That'll probably change in the future though as backports to 2.4
> will start to concentrate on server and security stuff rather than
> desktop/interactivity stuff. Another year and moving for desktop users will
> be more or less inevitable.

After my recent experiences of an upgrade too far I'm a bit nervous of pushing
the envelope. Perhaps I should do a backup ... I'll do it tomorrow. I can't
get my head around the various nvidia options available in debian/testing; it
offers:

nvidia-kernel-common - NVIDIA binary kernel module common files
nvidia-glx - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
nvidia-glx-dev - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver development files
nvidia-kernel-2.4.24-1-386 - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux
2.4.24-1-386
nvidia-glx-src - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
nvidia-kernel-src - NVIDIA binary kernel module
nvidia-kernel-2.4.22 - NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.4.22
nvidia-kernel-source - NVIDIA binary kernel module source

(plus some other stuff). Some of these appear to be mutually exclusive. Even
taking the nvidia-kernel-souce package and trying to rebuild it with a 2.6
kernel was an unhappy experience. I'm not sure why I even bothered trying to
build a 2.6 kernel. Because it's there I suppose ...