Fwd: Re[2]: [Preston] Re: Booting up Mandrake 9.2

Granville Cousins granville at yogawithgranville.com
Thu Feb 12 07:05:32 GMT 2004

Hello PLUG,

  I have just installed Mandrake 9.2 onto my Laptop. When the bootup
  sequence begins everything goes well until it reaches a stage where
  it asks me for my localhost login. I give my login name and then my
  password. This is accepted but then the screen goes down to a
  command prompt [name at localhost name]$ and I can't boot into the
  Graphical Desktop of Mandrake. What command should I give to do
  this. I am a newby with Linux so please keep any replies as simple
  as poss.

>> --
>> Love and Light,
>>  Granville                          mailto:granville at yogawithgranville.com

Chris> Assuming you have installed and setup XFree properly, and the window
Chris> manager/desktop environment of your choice, when you installed,
Chris> all you need to type is ``startx'' at the command prompt.
Chris> This should start up a graphical environment for you to work in.

Thanks for your reply. When I type in startx I get the following
message.

[granville at localhost granville]$ startx
Using authority file /home/granville/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/granville/.Xauthority
Using authority file /home/granville/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/granville/.Xauthority

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 13)
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X
server
xinit: No such process (errno3): Server error:
[granville at localhost granville]$

It looks as though XFree was not set up correctly at installation.
Do you have any tips on this? Where could I download an installation
guide for Mandrake 9.2. I have previously installed Mandrake 9.0 with
no such problems. Will the installation manual for Mandrake 9.0 work
with Mandrake 9.2?

PS. Could you please read again the message at the top of this email.
I have copied my ammended message there as I noticed after I had
sent the original that I had made a mistake. After I typed my login
and password I was taken to the command prompt and not down to root.
The command prompt is shown below.

[name at localhost name]$

Thanks for your help.

NB: Please reply to this email and disregard previous one.

--
Love and Light,
 Granville                            mailto:granville at yogawithgranville.com