[Preston] Re: Booting up Mandrake 9.2

Andrew King andrew at andrewsworld.org
Mon Feb 16 12:16:43 GMT 2004

entwisi wrote:

>To start the GUI you need to start what is called your X server.
>
>The simplest way of doing this is 'startx' This will start an X server
>process. What you also need is called a Window manager. You should have
>at least one installed by default. Popular ones you may have heard of
>are KDE, Gnome and IceWM although there are loads more to choose from.
>By default MDK will automatically start KDE but can specify another when
>starting X like this. 'startx gnome'

Can anyone say if "startx kde", "startx gnome" etc should work on a
Debian system?  I've got KDE+Gnome installed on here, with KDE being the
default, and they're both accessible via kdm, but startx gnome just
makes it complain.

I remember under Red Hat, there used to be this swichdesk command that
could be run either from the command line or XFree86 that'd let you
choose what'd be started the next time you ran startx, but there's no
rush command here.  I don't think the Debian people have got as far as
documenting anything graphical yet either...

Andrew