Fwd: Re[2]: [Preston] Re: Booting up Mandrake 9.2

Granville Cousins granville at yogawithgranville.com
Thu Feb 12 22:16:36 GMT 2004

Hello TaylorG,

TaylorG> Is the first login screen graphical or is that a CLI aswell.
TaylorG> Try typing into the CLI (once logged in) startx, shown below

TaylorG>         name at localhost ]$ startx

TaylorG> Post back any error messages that was displayed.
TaylorG> Also check out /etc/inittab and make sure the GUI is set to run first, shown
TaylorG> below.

TaylorG>         # Default runlevel. The runlevels used by Mandrake Linux are:
TaylorG>         #   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
TaylorG>         #   1 - Single user mode
TaylorG>         #   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
TaylorG>         #   3 - Full multiuser mode
TaylorG>         #   4 - unused
TaylorG>         #   5 - X11
TaylorG>         #   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
TaylorG>         #
TaylorG>         id:5:initdefault:

TaylorG> You may have:
TaylorG>         id:3:initdefault:

TaylorG> Post back the startx results.

TaylorG> Gizard

Thanks for your reply. The first login screen is a command shell.
When I type in startx I get the following message.

[granville at localhost granville]$ startx
Using authority file /home/granville/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/granville/.Xauthority
Using authority file /home/granville/.Xauthority
Writing authority file /home/granville/.Xauthority

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 13)
giving up
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X
server
xinit: No such process (errno3): Server error:
[granville at localhost granville]$

--
Love and Light,
 Granville                            mailto:granville at yogawithgranville.com