[Preston] Distributed projects like SETI

James Green jkg-plug at earth.li
Tue Feb 17 09:51:38 GMT 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:14:23AM +0000, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> Does anyone know about any other projects that run on linux apart from SETI?
> There are a lot of interesting looking projects but they're all windows
> based. I've not looked into this for a while and I got a bit fed up with seti
> and no longer run it. I'd be more interested in running one that did medical
> research or something like that.

IIRC folding at home, which simulates protein folding, runs under Linux
quite happily - <http://folding.stanford.edu/>. This is meant to have
great potential for being medically useful, though I forget why offhand
:)

Less medical, but there's also GIMPS, the Great Internet Mersenne Prime
Search, which runs under Linux. You can find out about that from
<http://www.mersenne.org/> IIRC.

Hope this helps,

James Green | jkg at jimbo.org.uk
PGP key ID 81AE16FF, available from a key server near you