[Preston] Bad Debian day

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 14:13:46 GMT 2004

On Monday 23 February 2004 20:03, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:

> I am currently running a woody (stable) server and am awaiting the
> arrival of sarge.  I have also been tempted to install software from
> unstable or testing but, as you have found out, it is fraught with
> danger.  IMHO the best thing to do is visit:
>
> http://www.backports.org/

I'm still new to the idea of backports and stuff like 'pinning' a distro but
it does seem the way to go. There is a certain laziness and recklessness with
a fast connection to just up the level the distro - with, as they say,
hilarious results.

Am I right in thinking that they're going to freeze sarge soon and it'll
become the new stable? My plan, or resolution, is to stick with stable when
it freezes and start looking more into backports as you suggest.

Dougie