[Preston] Bad Debian day

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Wed Feb 25 20:55:44 GMT 2004

'ellow,

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 02:52, Andrew King wrote:
> (1) Does anyone know if it's possible to access usb-storage devices such
> as usb pen drives /without/ using SCSI emulation?

Sorry, no idea on this one.

> (2) Does anyone know offhand how to get modules (in particular,
> ne2k-pci, snd-ens1371 and snd-pcm-oss) for kernel 2.6 under Debian?

Does this mean that 2.6 /doesn't/ include them any more?  I really need
ne2k-pci.  It used to be in the 2.4 tree.  That is a shame as it will
prevent me from using 2.6 until someone lets us know where they are.

> (3) This definitely is just a case of STFW, but any ideas how to set the
> defaults for alsamixer on bootup?  Whoever had the genius idea of making
> everything muted and at 0% volume as the default?  That makes about as
> much sense as shipping an o/s with lots of ports open and then telling
> people it has built-in security!

Hehe, this one caught me out -- I was wondering why my sound was not
working until I realised it is muted by default (and that I have to be
in the ``audio'' group).  The package should have installed init scripts
that save the settings on shutdown and then reload them on startup.

As you have already set up ALSA, you can use the command:

	dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base

to automagically set this up for you (answer ``Yes'' to ``Save mixer
settings across reboots?'').  It will ask you the other questions too,
but your previous answers should be highlighted by default, so you
should just be able to press ENTER to get through them.

Hope this helps!

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>