[Preston] Bad Debian day

Andrew King andrew at andrewsworld.org
Wed Feb 25 23:05:18 GMT 2004

Matt said:

>>(2) Does anyone know offhand how to get modules (in particular,
>>ne2k-pci, snd-ens1371 and snd-pcm-oss) for kernel 2.6 under Debian?
>>

>Does this mean that 2.6 /doesn't/ include them any more?  I really need
>ne2k-pci.  It used to be in the 2.4 tree.  That is a shame as it will
>prevent me from using 2.6 until someone lets us know where they are.

Sorry - I asked completely the wrong question there.  What I'd meant to
ask (had I not been asleep at the time :) was if anyone knows of a way
to get it to load those modules automatically at boot.  Thankfully they
are there, but every time I boot my system I have to su - to root,
modprobe the needed modules, and then re-run the firewall+networking
script.  Am running Debian 3.0r0 with a dodgy mix of
stable+testing+unstable+random other binary debs and installs from
source, which has somehow held together for 15 months without a reinstall...

>>(3) This definitely is just a case of STF, but any ideas how to set the
>>defaults for alsamixer on bootup?  Whoever had the genius idea of making
>>everything muted and at 0% volume as the default?  That makes about as
>>much sense as shipping an o/s with lots of ports open and then telling
>>people it has built-in security!

...and that was sposed to say STFW.  Was definitely asleep!

>Hehe, this one caught me out -- I was wondering why my sound was not
>working until I realised it is muted by default (and that I have to be
>in the ``audio'' group).  The package should have installed init scripts
>that save the settings on shutdown and then reload them on startup.
>
>As you have already set up ALSA, you can use the command:
>
>	dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base
>
>to automagically set this up for you (answer ``Yes'' to ``Save mixer
>settings across reboots?'').  It will ask you the other questions too,
>but your previous answers should be highlighted by default, so you
>should just be able to press ENTER to get through them.
>
>Hope this helps!
>
>bye just now,

Excellent - thanks for your help!

Andrew