[Preston] Newbie Needs Help

Mark W Platt Roadrocket at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 12 17:24:22 GMT 2004

Hello All
I'm totally new to Linux and have been having a total an utter nightmare
with Mandrake 9.2.  NO matter what I do I cannot connect to the
internet.  In frustration I gave up and Installed Redhat 9.  This seems
to work fine.  What was I doing wrong with Mandrake.  It seemed to
install fine. but when I tried to connect the modem dialled out
transmitted for a few seconds and then Linux said that I was not
connected.It gave me no help or information as to where the problem
might be.  I had read great reports on this release and I was real
looking forward to trying it out.  As i'm sure you can imagine I feel a,
really stupid and b, very disappointed  I have used windows since 97 and
although I'm not either an expert or an idiot ( honest ) I just gave up
with Mandrake.
I just don't understand a lot of the FAQs they are either far too
technical or just not relevant. I followed the install wizard but did
not understand which of the many options i needed to check.
Hope someone out there can help.
Regards
Mark %-)