[Preston] broadband and LInux

Caroline pooshouse at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 20:34:53 GMT 2004

'Ello!

I was thinking of upgrading my Blueyonder (Telewest) dial-up to Blueyonder
broadband, but it seems they aren't doing any more of the old ethernet
connections. Instead of this they appear to run a USB cable, possibly to
the digibox.

Have any of you any idea if I will be able to use this type of connection
under Linux? One of my main reasons for upgrading is to skip the mucking
about with modems - I need it to plug and play, so to speak, or I'm not
interested.

Anyone?

CAroline.

PS.
Sorry about the sketchy details. I've just had a frustrating conversation
with a woman on the phone:

She:	An engineer will come out and install it under Windows.
Me:	But will it work with Linux?
She: 	We will only install it under windows. Putting it on Linux is up to
the customer.
Me:	But will it work with Linux? If it *will* work then I can probably find
out how to do it, but if it *won't* work at all then there's not really
much point in me having it.

She didn't say much else after this. Can't think why. I am Customer
Services worst nightmare sometimes.

And the other day, too:

Man on telesales:	What version of Windows are you running?
Me:	Mandrake 9.1   (I 'forgot' about my laptop and the other partitons)