[Preston] Detection of Sound Cards

Andrew King andrew at andrewsworld.org
Fri Jan 23 18:28:47 GMT 2004

Hi there!

What do people use to set up sound cards under Linux these days?

Under BSD, it "just works".  Provided that the kernel sees it and loads
the driver ok, then you can just go ahead and start using software
applications such as ogg123 or waveplay.

Under Red Hat, I always used this program called sndconfig, which, three
times out of four, would figure out what card I had, set it up and then
play a sound sample.  If it didn't figure it out it'd let me choose from
a list, and again that'd often work.

When I switched to Debian (what I'm using now), I got sndconfig from the
APT system.  That worked fine for a while, but now fails at regular
intervals with a segfault or an error about writing things to files.

I realise that some (probably at least Red Hat, Mandrake and SuSe) set
things up during the install, but if anyone could tell me if there's a
generic tool that can be downloaded, or if it's just a simple case of
some change in a config file or two somewhere, I'd be grateful to hear.

Kernel is 2.4 for now - have got 2.6 and considered going with Alsa, but
setting it up and getting it working looks like the kind of thing
that'll take all night - haven't found clear instructions which'd make
it any quicker yet.

Andrew