[Preston] Detection of Sound Cards

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 18:42:13 GMT 2004

On Saturday 24 January 2004 12:42 pm, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
> 'ellow,
>
> ALSA on Linux 2.4 works very nicely and I would recommend that you try
> it.  It's not that hard to set up on a Debian system as there is
> make-kpkg to help.  I am using Debian Sid with a 2.4.x kernel and ALSA
> works great with my SB Live (emu10k1 driver).  Here is a guide from
> Debian Planet:

I'm just in the middle of a re-install. sid was just a bit too much bleeding
edge for me, and when it started to get cranky I couldn't sort out the broken
bits. So back to testing/sarge for me I think. I've always used OSS and
configured my SBLIVE into the kernel and it's worked fine. Is there any
advantage to using ALSA? I'd hate to think I was missing out on anything!

Dougie