[Preston] Detection of Sound Cards

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Mon Jan 26 20:55:37 GMT 2004

'ellow,

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 09:21, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> 	apt-cache search alsa | less
>
> shows tons of matches but I assume alsa-common is the main package I need. But
> first, get X working. Always good for a laugh.

I just did

	dpkg -l *alsa*

on my system.  It shows that the main packages you need to install are:

	alsa-source (the driver source code -- with debconf set-up)
	alsa-utils (the userland stuff)
	alsa-base (this should come automagically with alsa-utils)

The ``alsaconf'' package seems to be a util to fine-tune the config
after you're installed.  I never needed it as the other debian packages
ask you all the appropriate questions as they set things up for you.

Re ``alsa-common'' -- I don't have this; must be smt to do with me
running Sid.

Good luck with getting it all set up :-).

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>