[Preston] Detection of Sound Cards

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 21:22:23 GMT 2004

I had a lot of problems with this. I think most of the problems were caused by
the SBLIVE card. The most significant of those being that the SBLIVE card is
actually an Ensoniq card. I refused to believe it at first, and no amount of
dmesg/lspci or browsing in /proc could shake off my conviction that I had an
SBLIVE card. Still in denial, I opened the box and sure enough, the soundcard
is exactly what the system thought it was. Unfortunately, I kept telling
alsaconf and the kernel that I had something else.

It seems the card is a Creative model CT4750, which I think is a PCI128, which
also seems to be an Ensoniq 5880. I've got this working now with the normal
kernel config, and alsa has been apt-get removed. I'll no doubt give alsa
another whirl in the fullness of time; it didn't seem too difficult, albeit a
bit clunky. That could be a woody thing.

> Re ``alsa-common'' -- I don't have this; must be smt to do with me
> running Sid.

No, neither do I - typo!

Dougie