[Preston] BBC Radio Listen Again website and Realplay

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Tue Mar 16 19:59:16 GMT 2004

'ellow,

Princess Leia dot com?  Cool, hehe.  As it happens, I didn't get my
mplayer from there.  I see you're of a like mind when it comes to
compiling things (or not) so you'll like this...

There is a Debian maintainer called Christian Marillat who is really
ace.  He's packaged up mplayer and all the codecs so that you can just
apt-get them.  He's even made different versions of mplayer for
different CPUs.

You'll need to go to his web site:

http://marillat.free.fr/

Then go to the bottom and add the appropriate line from there to your
/etc/apt/sources.list (depending on which distro you're using).

Do an apt-cache search/show for the various mplayer packages (mplayer-k7
for example) to see which is appropriate for your CPU.

He provides a number of packages other than mplayer that are
media-related, including a w32codecs package and a number of DivX ones
that should enable you to watch/listen to pretty much anything.

I'd recommend that you remove any .mplayer stuff from your home before
you start using his packages and also that you apt-get remove --purge
your existing mplayer so that its config files don't get used.

Hope this helps,

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>