[Preston] Building Modular Kernels

Guy Heatley guy at remember-tomorrow.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 00:13:36 GMT 2004

To be honest, I have never noticed any real performance increase in
kernels that I have compiled myself compared to generic ones. The reason I
have compiled kernels in the past (and the only reason that seems worth
the hassle) is to get support for hardware that isn't supported via
'normal' means (but I suppose you could class this as a performance
increase). This has in the past been PCMCIA support for laptop network
cards, eliminating SCSI conflicts (ZIP drive / CD burner / USB drives) and
nVidia drivers.
I still generally roll my own but only because I know my hardware so well
(or should I say, I've had it for so long ;-) that I now know what makes
it run best.
Regards,
--
Guy