[Preston] Re: Installing Fedora Core 1

Granville Cousins granville at yogawithgranville.com
Tue Mar 23 11:07:46 GMT 2004

Hello PLUG,

I am trying to install Fedora Core 1 from a set of CDs onto my Toshiba
Satellite 2180CDT Laptop. I recently upgraded the hard disk to 20
gigabytes and installed Windows 2000 on 16 gigabytes of which I
divided this up into Primary 4 gigabytes for Windows and applications,
10 gigabytes for data,
1 gigabyte for Windows setup files and
the other 4 gigabytes I partitioned for use with Fedora Core 1. The
Linux partition I formatted to be Fat32.

I now have booted my laptop with the Fedora Core 1 installation CD,
this is after first using the integrity checking facility on all the 3
CDs. Going along with the installation instructions up to where I am
asked to choose where I want to install Fedora Core 1. A screen is
displayed showing my already created partitions and I select the 4
gigabyte partition which I have allocated to Fedora. I am then asked
to define a root partition(/), which is required for installation of
Fedora Core to continue. After clicking the OK button I then was
returned to the display screen where I now choose Edit the partition
on which I want to install Fedora Core. This is /dev/hda7. I select
the mount point (/) and then Format partition as ext3. After choosing
this and clicking Next a Partitioning Warnings window comes up which
says "You have not specified a SWAP partition. Although not strictly
required in all cases, it will significantly improve performance for
most installations. Would you like to continue with your requested
partitioning scheme?"  \i then click OK and proceed with the Format. I
select to install the Boot loader on the DOS partition /dev/hda1 and
choose a boot loader Password. I confirm this, click on OK, Enable
firewall and the services allowed to pass through the firewall. I
again click Next select English as the default language click Next and
then select Europe/London Time Zone. I then enter the root password
for the system and click on Next. I choose to install KDE desktop and
the default packages. The rest is pretty straight forward but when the
installation has almost completed the installation just stops and
proceeds no further.

My query is what should I have done with regard to partitioning the
drive for Fedora Core 1 installation. In the past I have only
installed Linux on a drive completely dedicated only to Linux. Now
sharing this drive with Windows has brought up different problems.
Usually the drive selected is partitioned totally by Linux. This is
not the case here.

Please could you give me some advise as to how to proceed from here and
get Fedora Core 1 installed on my Laptop.

Thanks in advance.

-- Love and Light,
 Granville                          mailto:granville at yogawithgranville.com