[Preston] MS Media Player

Garry Taylor taylorg at southport-college.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 08:57:21 GMT 2004

Sorry not a Linux question,
  Microsoft have now been ordered to ship versions of Windows without Windows
Media player.
One the the best thing that has come from this is that Microsoft have been
ordered to release information about their API relating to Windows media.
This is somthing that has been kept a trade secret, hindering competition.

Now that Microsoft have been told to do this, would it not be easier for them
to release Windows Media Player as open source GPL, and still bundle the
software with the OS. Or, is the problem due to the fact that Microsoft owns
the media Player?

What do you lot think?
I will be walking around with a big smilly on my face all day :)

Gizard