[Preston] MS Media Player

(BPD) Martyn Ashworth m.ashworth at bigpurpledot.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 09:51:40 GMT 2004

Is this the same as when they were ordered to stop bundling Internet
Explorer with versions of Windows aswell? I either missed the ending to
that story or else i failed to see how they 'stopped' doing this. (apart
from I think they stopped allowing that annoying internet desktop thing)

Realistically, i can't see Redmond ever going GPL (or any kind of Open
Source) in a dramatic way. They'll just cover the world in red-tape and
keep the lawyers busy for years. I certainly can't see them releasing
the Media Player as GPL, the last thing they want is to lose the rights
to sue because *nix has suddenly got a very similar mplayerX available
for use.

Besides, are we really bothered? I'm probably not the worlds biggest
media (ab)user in the Linux fold and i find a combination of OGLE and
Xmms more than adequate (in fact, compared to media player i can still
work at the pace *i want* whilst they're running!) for my needs.

I'm probably wrong (as I am in most instances) but despite all these
*victories* over redmond the past few years i've never seen anything
significant flow into the Open Source world from the outcomes.

As always, time will tell (she just can't keep a secret).

Martyn.