[Preston] Spurious syslog entries

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 23:00:14 GMT 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 21:01, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
> 'ellow,
>
> I wonder if any of you can shed any light on this; I've had this really
> annoying problem with my syslog for ages (possibly even since I set up
> the server) and have tried quite a few times to fix it, to no avail.
>
> My server is running Debian Woody.  The problem I am having is that all
> syslog messages appear twice in the syslog.  Whether they are message
> from syslogd itself, popa3d, dhcp*, postfix, apache2 or anything.  All
> of them appear twice.

Hi,

If it's any help, it's definitely your syslog.conf file that's the problem.
I've just lobbed it over the top of mine and I get the same symptoms that you
describe. I tried a series of tests along the lines of

	logger -p local1.info local1.info test
	logger -p local2.info local2.info test

on the command line and they all log twice. It's a while since I tinkered much
with a syslog.conf file - I recall it being very fussy if you used spaces
instead of tabs under HP-UX but linux doesn't seem to mind. I couldn't figure
out what the difference is between the last two lines of your config file.
Removing the last line gets rid of the problem. I'm not sure the last line
does anything that the 2nd last line doesn't. But maybe you had it in for a
reason? Remember you have to do a /etc/init.d/sysklogd restart after each
change to the config file (I know I'm probably trying to tell you how to suck
eggs, but, just in case).

Dougie