[Preston] Spurious syslog entries

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Fri Mar 26 23:54:45 GMT 2004

'ellow,

Thanks for testing out my config file.  Your e-mail told me where the
problem was; removing this line made the double entries stop :-).  At
roughly the same time that your mail arrived, one from lulu (Lufbra's
LUG list) turned up.  It mentioned why this was happening:

The first thing I had wrong was the entry for ``*''.  It isn't valid so
was being ignored.  (The reason for this is that every message has to
have the two parts ``<facility>.<level>''.)

The second thing I had wrong was that the last line ``*.* blah blah
blah'' contained a duplicate entry for ``*.*'' so that's why the
messages where being logged twice.

So, thanks for your help -- I am very pleased now as that was really
bugging me for a long time!

bye just now,

P.S. On an unrelated topic, and this is addressed to all members, I have
acquired a PC for my ALSA demo.  Phil has kindly donated some extra EDO
memory and a faster CPU so all should be set up for June now!  If there
is any particular thing people would like to see in the demo, please
e-mail me (off-list is probably preferable).  I'll be covering how to
set it up, compile it etc (on Debian).  Planning to use 2.4 as I reckon
most ppl will still be using that even by June but if there is demand I
will try 2.6.
--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>