[Preston] ALSA Demo -- Planned and Possible Demo Items

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Tue May 25 19:26:45 BST 2004

'ellow,

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 11:55, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> mpd - what's that? It sounds interesting. I've just found the webpage
> and had a look. It doesn't appear when I do an apt-cache search in
> debian which is probably why I haven't come across it before.
>
> Something I've been looking for is a program that'd allow me to print
> out musical score. I thought it'd be quite a straightforward application
> but the ones I try won't playback - they all want to use midi. I've
> tried noteedit and brahms. It's one of the reasons I installed alsa - I
> thought it might sort itself out without me having to make the effort to
> understand any of it.

mpd is like a streaming media server.  Others exist too.  I was under
the impression it /was/ in the stable Debian (as I was looking it it for
my server) but I must have been mistaken.  If there is time/demand on
the night I'll see if I can demo it (there will be another PC there now,
I think).

I'm not too familiar with score software but if it can export in MIDI
format (as a .midi file) then you can play that with timidity (software)
or with the tool I will demo on Wednesday (hardware).

I've not had that XMMS bug before.

bye just now,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>