[Preston] ALSA Demo -- Planned and Possible Demo Items

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Fri May 28 22:50:40 BST 2004

On Thursday 27 May 2004 17:31, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
[ ... ]

> This is what the sound card would do by itself in hardware (and can --
> find out how at my demo, hehe!) but it means that you don't need a sound
> card / MIDI capable sound card to play MIDIs of a high quality.  Say you
> might have a card that can only do FM (as opposed to wave table)
> synthesis -- you can use timidity to play MIDIs that sound better.

I really must look into that a bit more. I always had the notion that you
needed a really posh sound card to do a lot of midi things but from what you
say that's not necesarily the case. I've got a very old soundblaster gold on
the linux box that I use with my drum kit and I keep meaning to RTFM for the
kit because I'm sure there are some nifty things I could be doing. The
drumkit has a midi out and the soundblaster gold, which was The Thing To Have
in its day has a midi port, so presumably I can record from drumkit to
computer in midi format if I put my mind to it.

Dougie