Three months later ... [ Re: [Preston] My Desktop Lives! :-) ]

Dougie Nisbet plug at highmoor.co.uk
Tue May 25 12:08:53 BST 2004

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 14:05, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> On Monday 23 February 2004 20:02, Matthew T. Atkinson wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > I am pleased to say that the advice that Steve (who also knows a lot
> > about Postfix) gave me at the meeting worked -
>
> Talking about postfix. I had a real headache with a mail-loop last week. I
> was running exim because that's what debian had installed by default.
> Recalling someone saying at the last meeting that they'd found postfix a
> lot easier to configure than exim I decided to try it. With 7000 or so
> mails stuck on my ISPs mailserver and a similar amount on my mailqueue,
> there didn't seem much to lose. I don't understand exim, and I don't
> understand postfix, but postfix is much easier to not understand than exim,
> and I'm sticking with it. My mail problems have gone away, and if it ain't
> broke ...
>
> Dougie

In exim you can edit the file /etc/email-addresses to get it to rewrite the
From address on a per user basis. I used to use this so that I could mail
from any PC on my home LAN and tell which user and machine it'd come from;
e.g. I'd have an entry
	dougie: dougie_nick at highmoor.co.uk
that would mean I'd know the email came from nick. This is handy when mucking
about with SMS emails where there isn't much space for info.

Can I do the same in postfix? I suspect not from skimming the docs but I may
be missing something.

Dougie