[Preston] Linux & Cyrix?

Matthew T. Atkinson matthew at agrip.org.uk
Fri Apr 1 13:34:37 BST 2005

'ello,

I have clambered out of a mountain of paperwork to bring you a question
from an off-list Linux user about some problems he has been having with
a Cyrix M2 processor.  Here is his question...

``
so impressed was I with the way Knoppix ran flawlessly on the various
machines that I had tried it on, I decided to build a machine to install
it and create my own distros. Unfortunately it doesn't like the machine
that I built. I can only think that it is down to the fact that I am
using a Cyrix processor although according to popular text Linux and
Cyrix are compatible. I have tried it on another Cyrix machine with
similar results yet even the most lowly of intel machines don't have the
same problems. Error messages such as segmentation fault and screens
full of hex numbers appear when you try to boot. I seem to recall
previous problems when I installed Suse 7.1 on a Cyrix machine, where
the thing used to crash. Can you suggest a work around that doesn't
involve pulling the processor out and sourcing an intel one.
''

I've heard that there are differences between Cyix x86 and Intel so can
just about imagine with SuSE, an i586 distro, would have problems.
However, KNOPPIX, being based on Debian is i386.  It sounds like the
kernel is panicking though, so might that mean it is compiled for
something later than i386?

We'd both appreciate any advice you might have on this problem...

best regards,

--
Matthew T. Atkinson <matthew at agrip.org.uk>