[Preston] More on software patents

Guy Heatley guy at remember-tomorrow.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 01:23:30 BST 2005

I think ultimately there should be some law that protects software developers
from having to worry about patents in the general "practice of their art". If
a patent can easily or inadvertently be infringed then it should not have
been granted in the first place.

Some guy was arguing (on the FFII mailing list) that the threat of being sued
for some inadvertent patent infringement caused him to fear for his
capability to carry out his job properly as a software developer, and was
therefore an infringement upon his human rights.

It's interesting to see that what is in effect a restrictive trade practice
has been given the spin that it is in the interests of "improving
competition" in the EU Commission document.
--
Guy