[Preston] Uni

Godwin Family godwin.family at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 4 22:26:36 BST 2005

Hi Bob, No right answer to this question. My son has just graduated from
Manchester University with a degree in Computer Science. Manchester is a
Russell Group university, which puts it in the top tier, and his department
is rated in the top 3. But..., the course had a high maths content. However,
it does run a variety of courses. See if you can get hold of Computing or
Computer Weekly newspapers, which regularly have news items on employers
requirements, skills shortages etc. I've worked in commercial computing for
over 30 years, and I would recommend you avoid I.T. courses; they teach you
how to use a spreadsheet, rather than computing principles. There are some
good websites listing Computing courses. I seem to remember that the UCAS
site is particularly recommended. Courses with industrial experience can be
helpful if you are prepared to venture into the big corporate world e.g.
IBM, HP, CAPGemini etc. for a year. I strongly recommend looking out for
departmental open days. They helped get a feel for the real set up, and you
will get your concerns answered.
Good Luck
Jim Godwin