[Preston] Uni

Tim Igoe tim at igoe.me.uk
Thu Aug 4 16:38:19 BST 2005

I've just finished at uni (Loughborough)

Robert Longworth wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I've been to a few Plugs around the spring time and found them
> entertaining! Now I'm wondering if some of you could give me a bit of
> help in choosing a University Degree. I'm currently studying for A
> levels in Computing, Geography, Maths and Physics and will probably drop
> the Physics for my final year. I'm not a genius but will hopefully
> manage to get some B's!!!

Not far different from what I did. - No Geog tho (ick)

> The first decision is what course do I opt for (there are so many that
> relate to computers) and secondly which Uni to select

I opted to do a very general degree to improve my prospects when I'd
finished and leave me open to doing a more varied range of jobs.

> So the first question is: Do you recommend a general computing degree
> (or maybe even Maths - but then again!) so my options will be greater
> when I emerge from the other end or do I plump for one of the areas I'm
> interested in - software engineering (programming), robotics, AI,
> networks, security etc?

If you want to do programming, look more at 'computing' courses, but if
you want a more general one they tended to be 'computer science' (when i
was looking anyway). Having done the more general degree, I feel i could
fit into doing more jobs. I'm just having the problem getting one due to
`lack of experience' - frustrating as I did a sandwich course (year in
industry) for some experience so i'd not have so much of a problem - so
i thought.

Have a look at the courses, and their content - the course I did covered
most (not robotics) of what you list there, and much more besides.
Including low level hardware type things :)

> Secondly of course is which Uni to select - any offers?

A uni that you'll like the environment of, somewhere you'd be happy
living for 3-4 (or even 5) years. This is why i chose L'boro - the green
areas around campus. (City campus was something i wanted to avoid)